Vision, Mission & Core Values
UAMS, with its intersection of education, research, and clinical programs, brings a unique capacity to lead health care improvement in Arkansas. Among its assets for leadership are its status as the only academic health center in the state, its statewide network of centers for public education and clinical outreach, its emphasis on population health, and its leadership in health informatics and statewide information technology. In addition, UAMS has a unique capacity for translational research – speeding the rate at which research can inform clinical care and health improvement.
By the year 2020 UAMS will:
- Create an integrated, patient- and family-centered health care environment that effectively and efficiently produces better health outcomes, enhances the patient and family experience, and fosters clinical program growth at UAMS;
- Educate culturally competent health professionals equipped with the knowledge, skills and abilities to practice collaborative care and adapt to changes in the health care field;
- Continue to develop and expand nationally recognized, multi-disciplinary research programs aligned with health needs in the state and nation;
- Develop research, educational and technical assistance expertise in population-health strategies to promote prevention efforts for high-priority health issues and to improve the health of Arkansans; and
- Support the talent-rich environment at UAMS through employee support programs, enhanced organizational communication and employee development.
See the complete UAMS Strategic Plan – 2020 Vision
The mission of UAMS is to improve the health, health care and well-being of Arkansans and of others in the region, nation and the world by:
- Education of current and future health professionals and the public;
- Providing high quality, innovative, patient- and family-centered, health care and also providing specialty expertise not routinely available in community settings ; and
- Advancing knowledge in areas of human health and disease and translating and accelerating discoveries into health improvements.
Integrity – We foster, encourage and expect honesty, accountability and transparency in pursuit of the highest ethical and professional standards in all that we do. We take responsibility for our performance, and will engage employees, patients and families, learners and stakeholders in our critical decisions that are timely, complete and accurate.
Respect – We embrace a culture of professionalism with respect for the dignity of all persons.
Diversity – We are committed to the importance of the diversity of UAMS leadership, faculty, staff and learners in order to enhance the education of our learners, reduce racial and ethnic health disparities in our state, and honor the unique contributions provided by a diversity of values, beliefs, and cultures.
Teamwork – We seek to create interdisciplinary and inter-professional, synergistic and collegial relationships characterized by honesty, collaboration, inclusiveness and flexibility.
Creativity – We encourage and support innovation, imagination, ingenuity, resourcefulness and vision.
Excellence – We strive to achieve, through continuous improvement, adherence to institutional policies and best practices, and collaboration with colleagues, patients, and families, the highest quality and standards in all our endeavors.